Top 20 Software Testing Practical Tips for ISTQB Certification Foundation Level
Here are a number of the most effective testing practices I learned from experience:
1) Learn to research your results totally. Don't ignore the result. The ultimate take a look at result could also be 'pass' or 'fail' however troubleshooting the foundation reason behind 'fail' can lead you to the answer of the matter. Testers are revered if they not solely log the bugs however conjointly offer solutions.
2) Learn to maximise the QA coverage when you take a look at any application. Though one hundred pc take a look at coverage won't be attainable still you'll invariably try and reach close to it.
3) To make sure most coverage breaks your application beneath take a look at (AUT) into smaller useful modules. Write take a look at cases on such individual unit modules. Conjointly if attainable break these modules into smaller elements.
E.g.: Let's assume you've got divided your web site application in modules and 'accepting user information' is one among the modules. You'll break this 'User information' screen into smaller elements for writing take a look at cases: elements like UI testing, security testing, useful testing of the 'User information' kind etc. Apply all kind field kind and size tests, negative and validation take look arts on input fields and write all such test cases for optimum coverage.
4) Whereas writing take a look at cases, write take a look at cases for supposed functionality 1st i.e. for valid conditions in step with needs. Then write some for invalid conditions. This may cowl expected additionally surprising behaviour of application beneath scrutiny.
5) assume positive. Begin testing the applying by intend of finding bugs/errors. Do not assume beforehand that there'll not be any bugs within the application. If you take a look at the applying by intention of finding bugs you'll undoubtedly succeed to search out those delicate bugs conjointly.
6) Write your take a look at cases in demand analysis and style section itself. This manner you'll guarantee all the wants are testable.
7) Create your take a look at cases out there to developers before coding. Do not keep your take a look at cases with you waiting to induce final application unleash for testing, thinking that you just will log a lot of bugs. Let developers analyse your take a look at cases totally to develop quality application. This may conjointly save the re-work time.
8) If attainable establish and cluster your take a look at cases for regression testing. This may guarantee fast and effective manual regression testing.
9) Applications requiring important response time ought to be totally tested for performance. Performance testing is that the important a part of several applications. In manual testing this is often principally ignored half by testers attributable to lack of needed performance testing massive information volume. Ascertain ways in which to envision your application for performance. If unimaginable to form take a look at information manually then write some basic scripts to form take a look at information for performance take a look at or raise developers to jot down one for you.
10) Programmers mustn't take a look at their own code. As mentioned in our previous post, basic unit testing of developed application ought to be enough for developers to unleash the applying for testers. However you ought to not force developers to unleash the merchandise for testing. Allow them to take their own time. Everybody from cause manger grasp when the module/update is released for testing and that they will estimate the testing time accordingly. This is often a typical scenario in agile project surroundings.
11) Transcend demand testing. Take a look at application for what it's not speculated to do.
12) Whereas doing regression testing use previous bug graph (Bug graph - variety of bugs found against time for various modules). This module-wise bug graph may be helpful to predict the foremost probable bug a part of the applying.
13) Publish the new terms, ideas you learn whereas testing. Keep a text file open whereas testing an application. Publish the testing progress, observations in it. Uses these notepad observations whereas getting ready final take a look at unleash report. This smart habit can assist you to supply the entire unambiguous take a look at report and unleash details.
14) Over and over take a look tester or developers create changes in code base for application beneath test. This is often needed step in development or testing surroundings to avoid execution of live transaction processing like in banking comes. Publish all such code changes in hot water testing purpose and at the time of ultimate unleash make certain you've got removed of these changes from final consumer facet deployment file resources.
15) Keep developers aloof from take a look at surroundings. This is often needed step to detect any configuration changes missing in unleash or deployment document. Sometimes developers do some system or application configuration changes however forget to say those in deployment steps. If developers haven't got access to take look surroundings they'll not do any such changes accidentally on test surroundings and these missing things may be captured at the correct place.
16) It is a smart apply to involve testers right from software demand and style section. These methods will get data of application dependability leading to detailed test coverage. If you're not being asked to be a part of this development cycle then create request to your lead or manager to involve you're testing team in all call creating processes or conferences.
17) Testing groups ought to share best testing practices, expertise with different groups in their organization.
18) Increase your conversation with developers to grasp a lot of regarding the merchandise. Whenever attainable create face-to-face communication for resolving disputes quickly and to avoid any misunderstandings. However conjointly once you perceive the necessity or resolve any dispute - make certain to speak a similar over written communication ways in which like emails. Don't keep any issue verbal.
19) Do not run out of your time to try and do high priority testing tasks. Prioritize your testing work from high to low priority and arrange your work accordingly analyse all associated risks to prioritize your work.
20) Write clear, descriptive, unambiguous bug report. Don't solely offer the bug symptoms however conjointly offer the impact of the bug and every one attainable solution.
Don't forget testing may be an artistic and difficult task. Finally it depends on your ability and knowledge, how you handle this challenge.
Author: Clara James